Friday, September 21, 2018

Young Goodman Brown

 I recently read a little bit of something called "Young Goodman Brown". I have a friend who also read it and we were debating as to whether or not Goodman was dreaming or what the heck is going on. He declared that he was not dreaming and that what was happening was real because it had specific dates and to him it felt like it was all really happening it was real to Goodman so it must've been actually happening. I somewhat agree with his idea of it being real. I think that it was part real and part of it was Goodman hallucinating. It seems real and I think that the beginning when Goodman was saying goodbye to his wife was real. However his friend that he starts walking with into the forest is not real but a figment of his imagination to keep him company. It starts going weird at this point and I'll be honest I didn't get very far with reading it because it's just to much for me plus I tend to be pretty lazy when it comes to reading. They start walking into the forest in which it seems a bit to long and to me it seems like Goodman starts hallucinating. The friend talked about how he went with Goodman's dad and grandfather down the same roads. I think Goodman was bringing memories from what his dad and grandfather were like and connecting how similar they were and how if he goes down their path he'll end up the same as them. I think that Goodman was both seeing reality and hallucinating.

No comments:

Post a Comment