Tuesday, October 16, 2018

Todays Emerson Reading #1

So I am reading "On Self-Reliance" by Ralph Waldo Emerson (they finally found him). There are going to be a new post every three paragraphs that I will read and I will be giving my sort of summary of it and telling about a few words that I don't know the meaning of or forgot the meaning of. So today I read the first three paragraphs and stopped where he said "no muse befriends; no invention, no hope." Just from that I kind of get a depressing feeling about the three paragraphs. So how I am going to do this is I'm going to tell you where I left off, give my own little summary of what I read, and then tell you words that I looked the meaning up of. So the first paragraph to me it's basically saying to celebrate yourself be happy for who you are. The second paragraph to me is saying that when in school people envy those who have cooler stuff and contemplate suicide because they don't have what they have. The third paragraph to me is basically saying that people are scared to be themselves and they hide their uniqueness and are unhappy because they feel that they can't be themselves.

Vocabulary:

Merit-quality of being particularly  good or worthy so as to deserve praise or reward.

Abide- accept or act in accordance with.

Spontaneous- Performed or occurring as a result of a sudden inner impulse or inclination without premeditation or external stimulus.

Latent- Existing but not yet developed or manifest hidden or concealed.

Luster- A gentle sheen or soft glow especially that of a partly reflective surface.

Firmament- The heavens or the sky.

Alienated- Experiencing or inducing feeling of isolation or estrangement.

All definitions were found on Wikipedia

No comments:

Post a Comment